Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Betrayal by Sheila Hendrix

The Betrayal
ISBN #: 978-1-257-10786-5
Page Count: 232
Copyright: 2011


Summary:
(Taken from back cover)

Matt has a dream that sends the brothers on a hunt for a cave.  He doesn't know why they have to go there; he just knows they have to go.  When they arrive, Matt finds out that the vision turns out to be a trap.  A darkness like no other wants to control Matt and kill Zack.  When a demon asked Zack a question, how far will you go to save your brother, Zack replies, As far as I have to.  Now something like they've never faced before is on a deadly mission to destroy everything the brothers hold dear and if the McCannons are not careful this time, neither of them will be able to escape.


My Review:

Cover

The shadow figure at the mouth of the dark and uninviting cave gives a mysterious feel to the book straight away, which I like.

Plot

From the summary on the back of the book, I had high hopes before I began reading.  I really wanted to like this book.  Unfortunately, I didn't.  I believe the potential to have a great book was there.

The storyline just seemed to go back-and-forth, the demon wasn't believable, the brothers were shallow characters and I would have loved to have more depth to them and to the story.  It just felt like everything was barely touched upon so that I didn't really get a good understanding of anybody or anything.  I didn't connect with any of the characters.

Characters

Zack is the older brother.  From what I read, I gathered he was a paranormal investigator who went around helping people.

Matt is Zack's younger brother who is also a paranormal investigator that helps people.  Matt also sees visions.

Alanya, whose name means The Destroyer, is the demon tormenting Zack and Matt.

Overall

I've seen where this novel has gotten great reviews, but I just wasn't able to be one of those.  I did not connect with the story on any level and would have loved to see more depth in the characters.  I do believe that this author, and this series, has a huge potential at greatness though.  While this novel wasn't for me, I believe that, despite some of the language in the book, this would be more suited for a young adult to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using wordpress.com, you can simply drop the html below in a widget in the footer or at the bottom of the sidebar.
Quantcast