Sunday, September 11, 2011

Wanted: New Life, New Body, New Me


I wanted to share with everyone my long journey that I am about to embark on.  Please know that I am sharing this with you as a source of motivation for me.  If I tell you the embarrassing things about myself, it will motivate me to want to change them.  I do not need ridicule, but if you are willing to help motivate me and be a support system, I would love that.  Let me tell you what's going on...

We all know there is an "epidemic" of sorts concerning Americans and weight.  Unfortunately, I happen to be one of these individuals ... only I hadn't realized it until recently.  Now, don't get me wrong, I know I'm fluffy.  I'm at least that self-aware.  What I wasn't aware of was just HOW fluffy.  How is that possible you ask?  Well, I believe you're only as old as you feel and if you feel good, then it's hard to realize what situation you're actually in.  So, let me show you the picture that has brought it to my realization:



Just in case you're not sure ... I'm the one in the white tank.  When I saw a side-view of me (and this was taken in July 2011), I was in shock.  I could not believe how big I have allowed myself to become.  This is the biggest I have ever been in my entire life.  So, once the shock wore off, I put a plan into motion.

I now own an elliptical trainer.  I would go to a gym, but I have several issues with that scenario:
  • I like going to the gym with a partner.  All my friends, including my hubs, has work schedules that conflict with mine.  I like to go early in the morning, they'd rather go late at night.
  • The gym has become a meeting place for individuals and not a place for people to sweat their arse off.
  • The majority of people in gyms are skinny or muscular.  I, as a chubby bunny, do not feel like sweating through my clothes, and possibly smelling to the high heavens, in front of people whom I admire.
  • For the cost of a year's membership, I can buy my own workout equipment ... which I did.
I also went and bought a scale that, not only, tells me how fat I am, but also tells me how much of that is body fat vs. bone mass.  It also lets me know about my body hydration.  To go along with all these new fun toys, I bought a tape measure.  I wanted to see exactly how big around I was in various places.

Now, please understand, I'm not saying all of this to get your pity.  I don't want pity.  I know I allowed myself to become like I am.  I am not delusional in any way.  As a matter of fact, I have had several epiphanies the past few weeks.

While working, I've looked around and noticed that the majority of managers and higher ups had their weight under control.  Now, I don't know if the two are in direct correlation with each other, but I believe they are.  If a person can control their weight, they can control their life, job, etc.  (Solely my opinion here)  Since I want to progress in the company I work for, I feel that is another motivational factor for me to get my weight under control.... Not to mention all the health issues that are associated with obesity.

Here's what I'm going to do:  I am going to start tracking my progress on my blog because I feel that if I can get emotional support anywhere, it is amongst book bloggers.  I know my journey has nothing to do with books, but I have met and gotten to know some of the best-hearted people ... and they were book bloggers.

So, to do that, I am about to post some extremely embarrassing information about myself.  To reiterate, if I post embarrassing info about myself, then it will motivate me to do better.  If any of you would like to join me on my journey, but don't want to post embarrassing info about yourself on here (which I totally understand), then please feel free to email me (bannedbookreader@gmail.com) and we can exchange numbers to help motivate each other personally, if you'd like.

Here we go .... *deep breath* ....

Height: 5' 5"
Weight: 301 pounds
Goal Weight: Between 150 - 160



Measurements:

Neck: 19"
Bust: 51 1/2"
Right Upper Arm: 17 3/4"
Left Upper Arm: 17 1/2"
Torso: 47 1/2"
Waist: 46 1/2"
Hips: 56 1/2" (Got that fat pudge below the belly button)
Right Thigh: 31 3/4"
Left Thigh: 32 1/4"
Right Calf: 22"
Left Calf: 22"

I've heard obesity can cause health issues, too, so I'm going to list some health issues I've been having.  It'll help me keep track of where I progress over time.

Bad Vision
Easily out of breath (even bending over to tie my shoes)
No energy
Often Sleepy
Irregular Menstrual Cycle (sorry guys, but it is an issue with obese women)
Swollen Feet/Ankles

I'm not going to commit to updating ya'll on my journey every week, but I am going to try to commit to updating my weight loss/gain and measurements every other week.  I want to keep track of them somehow and this just seems to be the easiest way to do it, so thanks for bearing with me!  =)

6 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you that you are on this new journey!!! I too am on a new journey!!! Here's my weight loss blog!!

    http://emmiesweightlossjourney.blogspot.com/

    I totally understand what you are going through!! I will do my absolute best to give you all the support I can!!!

    HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please count on my support. I agree you should do your work-outs at home. That's where I do mine, always in the morning, too, as well as the biking and walking. The gyms are for the show-offs, and I don't find anything wrong with that either. But it's not for me. I don't and won't find anything you say on this subject offensive. You should be the you you and only you want to be. I wish all the best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aawww ... thanks Em, thanks Ron! I'm actually looking forward to this journey. I know it may be slow going at first, but the more I do it, the more ingrained it'll become in my mind. Baby steps! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's right!! Baby steps are better than no steps at all!!! I've done really well in the last few weeks .. and today!! Today ... is the day I'm ready to just throw it all in and say screw it!! BUT!!!!! I'm going to get through it and I'm going to tough it out .... and you can do it to!!! Please stop by my blog .. I don't update it everyday .. but I do try to update it frequently!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there,

    I'm cheering you on!! I'm coming down from 300 pounds as well. It's not easy, but it can be done - and it's worth it! I've lost 33.5 pounds so far, and I'm starting to feel really good about myself. Hang in there - you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Em - I will definitely stop by your blog as soon as I get off work this afternoon. =)

    Tristi - Thanks and congrats on the recent weight loss! That's awesome! I'm looking forward to the day I can say that. =)

    ReplyDelete

If you are using wordpress.com, you can simply drop the html below in a widget in the footer or at the bottom of the sidebar.
Quantcast