Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Review: Common Sense Investing by Rick Van Ness

ISBN #: 978-1466204515
Page Count: 108
Copyright: 2011


Book Summary:
(Taken from back cover)

Learn basic financial concepts to make it more likely that you'll achieve common life goals such as owning a home, providing for yourself or your family, taking fun vacations, and retiring in comfort - all free from financial stress.  Topics include:
  • The ten rules to successful investing
  • How to write a personal investment plan
  • How to diversify your investments
  • How to know a good mutual fund
  • How to be a tax-savvy investor

Kathy's Review:

Admittedly, I need some common sense when it comes to investing.  I can barely balance my checkbook, and when it comes to my 401k, I choose the automatic option and just hope for the best.  When someone starts talking to me about the stock market, mutual funds, diversification, etc., all I hear is the voice of the Charlie Brown teacher talking: "Wah, wah, wah, wah, wah, wah."

If you feel like me, you need this book.  Even if you don't, this book is an excellent reference tool for anyone who is looking to invest wisely for their future (and who isn't?).

The book is broken down into ten steps to invest successfully.  Each is covered in one (short) chapter.  I read this entire book in an evening.  Maybe took me an hour, tops.  And I underlined the heck out of it because it is just THAT chock full of good advice.

What I also like about the book is that Van Ness has no hidden agenda - he points to a multitude of references on the web, including videos, wikis, message boards and more.  In short, this is a mini "Bible" of investing.  And it's worded easy enough that even a financial dummy like myself can understand it.

After reading this book, I feel more confident about what I need to do to better invest my money and create a plan to save for the future.  I think you will, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using wordpress.com, you can simply drop the html below in a widget in the footer or at the bottom of the sidebar.
Quantcast